Monday, March 12, 2012

No More French!

 Ok, that title may seem a bit harsh, I have no problems with french. In fact, I've been speaking it since I was a toddler and my bilingualism is a basic part of who I am. What I'm not so at ease with is taking french literature classes as part of my vet tech program.

 The great news is that I found out that the vet tech program is offered at a Vanier College. Not only is this an english CEGEP, but it's in Montreal and accessible by public transportation. Of course, every silver lining has it's cloud, I now have to re-take 4 high school chemistry and math classes in order to be competetive in my CEGEP application. Oh well. I have a meeting at the end of the month with an adult education center near my house and will likely be starting these classes in April. I'm secretly excited to get a do-over for these classes anyway. In high school I was pretty unmotivated by sciences. It's only after university that I've developed an interest in nature and how it all works. I had ridiculously bad grades and I'm convinced that I can do better this time around.

  The hardest part of all this is that it's going to take up 4 nights a week, which is huge for someone like me who is used to having all her time. The good thing though, is that it'll force me to get the work done at a good pace. Once I get down to working I can be very productive but when it's up to me to set my schedule, like it was when I was taking the correspondence classes, it always seems like there's something more pressing to do than school. I'm not sure yet exactly how attendance works at these adult night classes though. Maybe you're not forced to go each night of the week. All I know is that there's a tutor sitting in on the "class" to answer your questions but other than that it's independent learning, no teacher. I don't even think that all the people in the class with you are even taking the same class that you are. Also, the classes are set up as many modules with a test after each one. This means no cramming for final exams. phew!

  Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment