Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Dreaming of Those College Days

   Another reason I feel like my life is on hold right now is that I'm planning a career change but it's crawling along at such a slow pace that I feel like I'm standing still. A career change at 31 is not as simple as it would have been if I'd decided this 10 years ago. I've got a house, car and a husband who just started his own business so, like it or not, I'm going to have to be patient until I'm "sure" school won't put too much strain on our lives. It's the "our" part really. Another complication is that the program I want to enroll in (I want to be a vet tech) includes classes that can't be taken by pregnant women. I'm one of those people who don't like to think too long about something before doing it. Once I've decided that it's what I want I go for it. Now, I have to wait until I get pregnant, have a baby, take a year's maternity leave and then go back to school.

   On good days I try to convince myself that all the waiting in my life is going to help me develop patience that I'm self admittedly lacking at the moment. So far striding through life with the attention span and patience of a three year old hasn't been that bad for me but when I do end up having children and even going back to school I'm going to need to act like a grown up, focus and take some deep breaths.

   On bad days, like today, I give in to my frustration and pout until I start to feel ridiculous. Then I tell myself that I need a hobby.

  In reality my school goal is slowly getting started. I've got a bunch of general classes that are part of my eventual Vet Tech program and I've decided to do them by correspondence. I've finished three out of 12 so far and I have to say it's keeping me quite busy. 

   I should just keep in mind that one day I'm going to look back on this time in my life and wonder why I was in such a hurry. For now I'll trudge on in my current job and wait...just wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment